Sports at MMK
At MMK, we are proud of our extensive and varied sports offering. Tied in with our inclusive school ethos, we encourage all of our pupils, whatever their age and ability, to participate in various sports. We believe that children benefit in all sorts of ways by joining in sports. Besides boosting health and helping children to be fit, children learn and utilise important life skills like being part of a team, as well as having the opportunity to work towards and attain goals (and not just those in football and netball)!! We work hard to give our children the stage to boost their confidence and self-esteem, and as an added bonus, we often find that this translates well in the classroom too!
In addition, to twice-weekly PE lessons for each class, we run after-school and breakfast sports clubs. We also participate in an exciting array of borough and local school competitions and tournaments, details of which you will find below.
Indeed, our contributions and achievements in sports were recognised in 2018 when the Barnet Partnership for School Sport awarded MMK the prestigious Gold Award for the second consecutive year. MMK has previously won the Bronze award.
The sports that we enjoy include (among others):
- Rugby tag
- New Age Kurling
Please see below for recent highlights in our sports calendar:
- July 2018: A team of eight pupils from Years 3 and 4 to the Burnt Oak Leisure Centre to participate in the Barnet School’s New Age Kurling tournament. About 12 local primary schools participated in this event.
- June 2018: We hosted the Maccabi Netball Tournament for Year 5 for our girls’ netball team. Four other schools entered the competition and we won this event!
- June 2018: Years 3 and 4 entered the Maccabi Mixed Football Tournament.Competition was very stiff amongst the 20 teams.
- May 2018: This was a very busy month. Years 3, 4 and 5 entered BBN1 (Barnet Bars No-one) a competition at Allianz Park in Barnet. The event featured a range of sports, for example athletics and javelin throwing, on a rotation basis. Year 4 joined a rugby tag competition. Year 3 girls participated in the Barnet Schools Football Tournament. MMK hosted another local school, Beit Shvidler, in a KS1 potted sports afternoon.
- April 2018: Quad Kids was a tournament held at Allianz Park. Featuring 4 separate sports, a team of ten MMK pupils from Year 4, 5 and 6 competed against 15 teams from other local schools.
- March 2018: We entered the Barnet KS1 football tournament that was held at the Power League.The team progressed really well and look very strong for the future.
With so much going on, we are proud to regularly update parents and our school community about our sporting achievements and the events that we join in our weekly school newsletter
Updated September 2018 by Mr Thorne, SEN TA & Sports Coach